Wednesday 27 January 2010

Holy cow! I'm going to run 100 miles ... this month!

So I thought to total up my mileage this morning and it came up at 85+ miles. It's stunning, really, to think of running THAT FAR in a very short period of time. When I started training for my very first half marathon I was thrilled for a 5 mile week. It's a bit different now.

When you make the choice to start running every mile is hard. My first ever training consisted of buying enough different types of running shoes to recycle the rubber into a play park's jogging track. I thought I broke my leg, twisted my calf, or cut off my foot a dozen times (and probably had every bit of my legs scanned at the doctors). I purchased and lost a half dozen of those Nike+ things, and I would stand at the copy machine doing leg balancing exercises because I was so terrified of not having core strength to even go through a 10K.

Now, if it isn't a 10K I have to think about wanting to run it. I cope with 5Ks. My hero, Jill, won't even think about it unless it starts at 6 miles. My 3 mile run-commute to work? Whatever! My only brief annoyance is if I venture out during bus pick-up/drop-off time I have to walk a lot in the city centre. (My life is more important than my marathon training.)

That's not to say that my legs still don't hurt (especially in cold weather - ugh!), that I sometimes don't have the mental will to do it, or that I've poorly planned for how long I'll be gone. I often tell people it's my first 3 miles that I have to spend convincing myself to run the extra 10 or 20 or whatever. Because after you've gone ahead and gone that far, you might as well keep going.

Not to mention that people keep giving me money. That guilts me into running for sure.

And so this month I'll manage 100 of those miles. Quite the accomplishment for me.

Yay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment