Sunday 24 January 2010

12.71 baby!



This is one of those videos you keep around as a damn good reason never to give up.

Today I ran my 12.71 miles. I wasn't fast, as once I hit Port Meadow (which is amazing to run through btw) I found myself pretty much plodding up and down short rolling hills in muck. Granted, one must expect that surprises are all part of the running experience, though I didn't think wading shoe deep through a bit of stream to get to a running trail would be one of them.

This run I tried Roctane - this new GU gel that is supposed to be somewhat similar to Powerthirst by they way they label it. It is, according to the box, "[An] advanced formula [which] amplifies GU's original Energy Gel recipe and adds new ingredients to boost your chances of success."

It comes in a flavor called Blueberry Pomegranate and tastes like a blueberry thing with coffee grounds mixed in. Very gritty. However, when I hit my major hill (always scheduled for the end because that is where sadistic running planners place them anyways) my calves didn't scream in agony. So even though I wasn't thrilled with the gritty part, I couldn't complain about my legs.

I also decided to wear my jersey, which was also the decision of various other people out training today. I saw MacMillan Cancer Support and one for the British Heart Foundation. Most people looked at me and nodded, and one lady said thank you. Being that Oxford is a young town with people running all over the place, I will take this as a positive step forward in support from the local townspeople.

So after this the really hard part starts - the 14, 17, and 20. Mileage I've never done before. Am I worried? Yes. But hey, I better be dying of something really good now in order to even consider quitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment