Tuesday 17 February 2009

Hi England, I'm America...

I have learned a great many things from the UK. It has come to my attention that, damn, I so am an American.

In America we like to make up a lot of words. So do the English. Yet they, without shame, mispronounce everything. I'm still wrapping my head around Reading, which is their Redding, or the fact that Leicester is pronounced Lester. Where did all the other vowels run off to?

My current fascination is the word 'jumper.' Now for us in America, that's a person on a ledge about to commit suicide. Here, it's an article of clothing. And it can be any of the following: hoodie, pullover, sweater, cardigan, jacket, or fleece. Though at any moment they can spring one of the other terms on you while denying any of the other words exist.

I'm also really getting to know UK business. There is this strange disconnect I'm getting, but at the same time, it's another fascination on my part. So far I've been graciously asked to a few interviews. All of them are unique, but with some underlying similarities. I'm usually interviewed by two or more people, often meeting several in different groups over a time period, and I HAVE to come prepared. There is a higher expectation here, which really, I think is good. But there is also that feeling of, "How should I be?" Should I joke? Be serious? In the end I try to remain as true to self as possible, though in return I just don't know what lines I need to cross, if there are any.

I also notice my American accent comes on THICK. I'm aware of how I say my words, how the tongue rolls around in my mouth. I adopt accents. I can, if placed around anyone for extensive periods, mimic them. In these cases I'm making conscious efforts NOT to sound like them. Not to pull something in and start talking like them. My favorite example of me not doing as such was when I took an English colleague to Disney. I would speak to the Disney people with my southern accent, and to him with an English accent. Eventually, he stopped me in the middle of Downtown Disney and said, "Stop it. Stop it right now. You're neither southern nor British! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!"

I think he's just jealous I can utilize a mimic talent.

It is very odd, though, this feeling of being a bit more of an outsider than normal. Of wondering where I will fit, if I will fit. Here I thought with all my travels that I was so incredibly cultured, but I still have a lot to learn. I suppose that's why I'm here, really. To learn.

Next, I will explore the meaning of the word 'shattered.' In America, it usually means somebody died. In the UK, you're just tired. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment