Monday 16 February 2009

Be yourself.

Competition sucks, but it's necessary. Of course life would be easier if everyone knew their exact purpose and impact without having to flounder around in that 'period of discovery.' (What they don't tell you is there will be several of these periods - some that you may not even want.)

Life changes, goals change, markets shift. And it's not always survival of the fittest. It is usually the survival of the people most willing to embrace the change. The trick is to embrace while still being yourself.

Don't think you can revolutionize yourself over night. Don't assume that if you put in one good weekend or send one great email, the customers will be at your doorstep tomorrow. Like some women I know who starve themselves for a week for a few hours in an evening gown, it's going to be over quick and you won't enjoy it because you put yourself in pain to get there.

Not that I'm saying there aren't times you need to push, but in order to really embrace change you have to make movements both large and small. For me, I just went through my Twitter and randomly subscribed to people's blogs. I figure if I get a chance to start reading more about these already fascinating folk perhaps they will feed me further ideas. Will it mean I trounce the competition? Win the job? Win the deal? Get the happily ever after? Perhaps it will. I'm embracing that as a possibility.

But I won't charge in on radical, because I won't know if I can sustain it. I've always wanted to dye my hair blonde, for kicks really, but I know myself well enough I wouldn't maintain it. Not to say maybe a streak here or there wouldn't be fun, but bleach bombshell would become bomb in four weeks flat. Guaranteed.

So as I look to progressing forward I will do so through engagement. Through authenticity. And I will let people's opinions in, and perhaps some will shape me. I will be myself, that is the best I can be. But I will be connected.

Influenced today by: Seth Godin

No comments:

Post a Comment