Monday 1 February 2010

Brief Devation.

I'm not using Conn's for appliance service anymore.

I do not expect people in the US in normal US jobs doing normal US things to have a US citizen call them and say, "Hey, I'm renting out my place and the dryer is broken. I need someone to fix it, but they need to call/email/smoke signal me back so I can pay for it. I AM NOT LOCATED IN THE US. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY MY US ACCENT. I SAY BIN NOW INSTEAD OF TRASH CAN."

9 times out of 10 they don't get it. Here, I get the confusion when US people call UK phone numbers and get US people answering them. It's weird. It takes a bit of explaining. But when you try and try and try and try to tell US people you are NOT in the US, they somehow, some way, don't believe you.

So Conn's put me on hold forever and a day (HELLO? I AM PAYING FOR THIS CALL!), and not only that, they don't even know what is wrong with the dryer. They just complained that no one was there to pay the bill. And when I call them, trying, PLEADING to pay a bill they seem confused.

"You have a US accent, why are you calling from England?"

"Because I am US born and raised. I've lived here a little over a year. Sometimes I say shed-ual instead of schedule but not always, though Lord knows I won't call a toilet a ur-i-null. Can I please pay a bill for a dryer which is located on 100% God Bless American soil?"

"Why are you paying for a dryer in the US?"

"Because, oddly enough, I own a place there which I rent and thereby must fix things on occasion."

"Oh. This is with an American card, right?"

grumble...cuss under breath....

I try to think that my fellow Americans have an international mindset. But sometimes I don't think they see outside of their cubical.

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. I feel you pain, when we travel I have to call the bank ahead of time so they don't freeze our accounts trying to be helpful. because why would a married couple who are millitary, bank in FL, live in Japan, travel seperatly and use the $$ from the same account? It's so frustrating sometimes! Breath deep, and next time just ask for a manager right off the bat because it's just easier when your across large bodies of water to deal with someone who cares that you're giving them your buiness in the first place. (J)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so glad that there are others who understand my suffering!!

    ReplyDelete