Saturday 1 August 2009

Hmmm... Social Media...

I was so into it when all the social media stuff started. Honestly, I don't regret being into it, not in the slightest, but as the stream has diversified (as such interesting technologies do) I have found myself becoming more centralized.

Why?

I used to maintain enough social media accounts to completely take up all my free time. But as things became more complex or as they were slowly overtaken by spam and recruiters, I found myself backing away. I only maintain two social site accounts now and this blog, anything more and I find myself in a certain state of annoyance. On top of this, there is the new problem emerging - the professional vs. the personal social media site. I've rigorously maintained that whatever I put up on my site has to be something I wouldn't be ashamed to show my grandmother. Now I have to ask if what I put up is professional enough.

Seriously.

I don't really edit these blogs. I don't sit around for days upon days and work out grammar and spelling issues. If something comes along that I wouldn't be ashamed to tell my grandmother about, I put it up. There are things about England which fascinate me, annoy me, and despite all are something I would like to look back at and remember. So I have photos and videos and all sorts of things - much of which I share with people who are very far away. Still, does that mean big brother is watching me?

On the flip side there are people who completely stay away from social media altogether. That raises two questions - #1 Are they technologically with it? and #2 What have they got to hide? It's like you can't really win - you're sort of in this place where you need to maintain something, even if it's nothing. But how much is enough?

We're all part of the TMI Generation now, it seems. The next part of all this is the control of information. It used to be just Googling someone was the way of it, now there seems to be so much more. It's something to think about, even though I firmly believe this personal in the world of digital is still going to grow and thrive. It's only my hope that as it does, it doesn't eat us alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment