Thursday 13 August 2009

There is too much a thing as blackberry crumble.

Dude, things produce fruit here.

It's like, whoa. You walk down a path and like, *bam* there's blackberries.

And plums, and passion fruit.

Just, you know, like, THERE.

Coming from a land of ever greens and fried dead formerly blooming plants, it is the experience to see things grow and flower - not struggle then wither. I have herbs in abundance. I go out with kitchen scissors and cut what I need for dinner.

Freaky.

Even though apparently England has had a water shortage since breaking off the mainland we don't have to worry about watering the plants. We don't have to worry about sprinklers. At worst, it mists. Just like the little fruit and veg misters in the super market (sans the "Singing in the Rain" interlude).

Right now I have a blackberry bush that is producing berries in waves. I take a small bowl out and can harvest what would be equal to about £2.50 in a store. It's mental. It's insane. And I can do it every day. A guy at work had such a zucchini bumper crop I made zucchini bread for two weeks solid and there is STILL zucchini.

Nearby the park cherry trees, plum trees, and apple trees just sort of drop fruit around. You can even buy a book that tells you what bushes, shrubs, trees, and tall grass produce stuff you can eat.

And the English practically boil and eat everything. There is this show where a cook constantly is brewing wine from flowers or eating various stinging plants. I'm waiting for him to start waxing eloquent on river pebbles as a soup you can make in three or four millenia.

Downside is I have to work through my baking. I feel a bit like Bubba in Forest Gump... we got your blackberry pie...blackberry crumble...blackberry yogurt...blackberry ice cream...

Ugh, so full of blackberries. Yet, so happy. So, so, happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment