Sunday 15 March 2009

Eventually, this will be an Audi.


There is a thrill when buying a vehicle. I've only experienced this thrill one time, when I bought my first real car - a 2000 Ford Focus. Standing in the bike shop today, looking at the scratch and dents, I had that same thrill.

I also had that similar desire when looking a little wire baskets.

The joy of this new job is that I can commute there on bike. One of the things I really wanted to embrace when moving abroad was getting rid of some of my very obvious American tendencies. One of these is the car. Now, before you protest let me say I have nothing against cars. I love cars. I have gone to car shows. I have poked under hoods and studied engine models. I am no gear head, but I keep up with the latest in best designs.

Right now, however, I am starting over and am dirt poor. I'd rather be spending my gas money on train and cheap flights around the UK and Europe. So I have to let the car dreams pass.

Not that this dream is dead, no. But first, you see, I have to learn this whole 'left' thing. And the whole squiggly lines thing. And that whole diamond yield thing. And roundabouts. (There was a roundabout in Houston but that was one.) I figure this is good, healthy practice for my eventual rise to Audi ownership.

You may notice from my previous posts I have a goal-set mentality. Working with a lot of sales folks I have gained one. That lovely little scratch and dent with basket? Eventually it will turn into an Audi A4. I'm not being crazy, A8 is just a bit too large. You see I love the rope lights, but apparently Audi is returning to the status of being a fine car engineering group. And frankly BMWs are all over the place here. (Not that I would turn down a BMW if offered one. I just think an Audi would be different.)

So as I huff and puff my way to my first UK job tomorrow morning, I will be thinking of the eventual Misano Red Audi with the fastest possible engine so I can play the worlds longest game of chicken with all the other motorists. And I will be happy and glad, because one day I will make that goal.

Until then I will peddle, peddle, peddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment