Wednesday 25 March 2009

Crummy Day Blog.

Today, not such a good day. They are bound to happen. I read somewhere (Red Magazine I think) that we shouldn't strive for always being happy, but instead work on being content. It's a very practical way of utilizing the Buddhist phrasing of living in the moment, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Overall today (and most of yesterday) was overshadowed by a stomach bug. I think, by the way I'm feeling now, I'm on the upswing. This if of course after consuming vast quantities of Lucozade and anti-diuretics. Within my learning curve of new work came wonderful stomach cramps and sudden head pangs, which I didn't enjoy. But I soldiered through, and hopefully after a good night of sleep I will be able to tackle tomorrow in a whole piece.

Of course it didn't help that someone decided, for some unknowable reason, to unlock my bike, lock it back together, but pop the bike chain off and dent in my basket. It was as if I had a warning shot fired across my nose, though for what reason I don't know. I'm still new in this biking world, still trying to figure out which way is what and how not to piss off better bikers and cars, but it mystifies me that someone would go and do it.

But, like my tummy, I managed to fix the chain on the bike and still make it to the post office, where I mailed off thank you cards to all my job references. I think the art of the thank you, so insanely drilled into my head by my high school English teacher, is one that is truly forgotten. Three of my four references (and the fourth just gave me his address so he's screwed now) have dozens of cards, notes, letters to tell them how much I appreciate them. They need to know it, it's important. Especially now, with all this crummy stuff happening around us - things that are bigger than stomach aches and strange bike vandals.

So, amid all this crummy let me say that despite the fact that I want to curl up in a ball and sleep forever, I fixed a bike chain and mailed four very important letters today. That makes me content, and that's just fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment