Friday 11 December 2009

Overload.

*Fuzz* POP!

That would describe the sound of my brain.

Coming back it's like being tossed into a world of ice and darkness. Though the fact that some people around the neighborhood go all Griswold on their homes makes me feel a bit better. Granted, I shouldn't complain. More often then not our Christmases were warm if not practically a beach affair.

When I had the flu at the age of 12ish it snowed in Panama City. I remember seeing it out the window and yanking myself from a drug-induced fog into a London Fog and out the door. I remember being fascinated over making snow balls and going so far as to put cups of snow in the freezer. (Sort of like we do those glow necklaces. Tell me, who amongst you has ever gone back to the freezer, pulled out the glow necklace, and worn it about?) On Christmas day there was a tiny patch of snow next to the fence that got shaded enough to keep the ground cold. I remember staring at it, burning into my brain the only white Christmas I had in memory.

*Fuzz* POP!

Flash to now, where we were at freezing and the weather alternates that we will be snow or slush come Monday. The twinkle lights and cold noses are only a prelude to my dire need of mulled everything. And even though I know that England will, in short, shut down and cry out "WHY GOD??" to the world if it snows again, I kinda... sorta... want it to. I don't want to commute in it, per se, but... well...

It's just that being brought back in or plopped as it were, I want things to slloooowww down. I want to enjoy and savor and float. I don't want to lose my excellent flatmates to their homes now that their fellowships have wrapped up. Don't want to lose my colleagues to their holidays just yet. I want to giggle and laugh and smile my way through mince pies and sparkling this and that and make sure that I enjoy it. Like the little patch of snow under the fence. I want to remember it.

So take a moment, if you read along, to go and give hugs to people. This is overload time but good time. Make sure everyone knows they are special.

No comments:

Post a Comment