Sunday 13 December 2009

One of those proud moments.

I spent about three years in politics as a campaign manager. While I never got to hold a high ranking position in a glamorous campaign I did hold the reigns in several local ones.

If you ever in your life want a lesson in humanity, go work in politics. Not for senators or governors, no. Go work for a council seat, a local seat, something that seems unimportant - that is where you learn. Because once a candidate has reached the upper echelon, then the race is anywhere from 25% - 75% won. But when you go out with a first time, scared-to-pieces person, you learn first hand how to really fight for a cause.

I would tell people at times that I was in marketing. When they would ask what area I would smile and say I market a person and their ideas. Because if you said politics you very well could be staring down a gun barrel. It's a job that doesn't get the lawyer jokes but gets a lot of lawyer distain. But, every so often, one of your people gets through. And when they do, it's as if your world just went into a full on confetti parade of joy.

Because when you work in something so severe as politics, you find yourself a lot more sincere. And seeing someone you believe in take hold of their dreams and hopefully turn a reality - that's pretty incredible.

Several years ago I was a green house party manager being introduced to City Council Member Annise Parker. She was running for her second term as At-Large and I was to clean up her artwork and go out and call and work events for her, as well as process all the mail. I remember that day I knew she was one that would climb the ladder and do so the way it's supposed to be done. With intelligence, thoughtfulness, and drive that anyone of any age, sex, race, or belief would respect and admire. Not to mention my dog thought the world of her.

Today, she's the first openly gay mayor elected to the city of Houston.

I'm so proud... and I'm so grateful I have a small part in making a real difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment