Saturday 18 July 2009

On staying.

I have now spoken, independently, to two non-English about how they got over to England.

"Oh, I was supposed to be here for (generally a week, a month) and 11 years later, here I am."

Seriously, both of them supposed to be here for short term and they never left.

I've been asked how long I want to be here. Honestly, I'm up for any amount of time that is allowed.

When I didn't live here I would often spend a few days in London. This was often because I was done with whatever project and wanted to get out of the way of whatever colleague had housed me. I would wander down to the water, and stare at the London Eye. Now, people can complain all they want, but I really like the London Eye. For those who don't get to visit every structure during their brief pass through it's a great thing. Plus, it's well engineered considering the English wind.

I digress.

There are these benches that I think (memory failing) serve as nice little statues to the Queen's Jubilee. They have sphinxes propping them up, and are actually not that comfortable. I go and sit there anyway because it's a lovely view. However, right above the London Eye, right dead center, is the inward flight pattern for planes to Heathrow. (One of them, anyway.) Every time I look up at it, my heart literally sinks. I suddenly wish I could merge myself into the benches. I don't want to leave.

Now, you would think me having visited, worked, and lived here for six months would mean that I would eventually not feel this way. But sitting here, typing about it, I want to find a way to bolt myself down and not go. Maybe it's because I feel like I haven't finished whatever I'm here for. Maybe it's because I am supposed to stay.

I don't know.

But whatever I do know is, it's not time to go yet. So I need to get over this homesickness/sad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment