Sunday 26 April 2009

Summah and Long Runs.

Today, for about 30 minutes, I went without a jacket. This is very exciting. For, you see, that means it is soon to be summer. And in summer, you can be without a jacket for maybe an hour. And sometimes, maybe sometimes, you can be without a jacket for TWO hours.

I went to ice cream. Because when it's 60 degrees out, it's ice cream weather. I got two scoops and a waffle cone. It was from G&D, which is like Amy's in Texas, all home made. It's not as good as Amy's (as nothing from home ever is as good as when you are technically not home), but it's close enough and excellent quality. They also make bagel sandwiches, which is nice, as I miss my bagels from my proper bagel shop.

I noticed today people were literally traveling across the parks with the sun. If the sun moved, so did they, quietly packing and moving their blankets like little sun dials all around Oxford. Myself, I'm still shopping picnic gear. With some events and visitors on the way I figure we must be proper English people and picnic. Preferably after pushing ourselves around on a punt all day. Or, at least, making my younger brother push us around. I believe that is the entire point of having younger siblings.

In other news, I am going to queue for the London Marathon. I've run numerous halvsies, and will run at least one halvsie this year (though I want to run two). Surely this to is one of the stupidest things I've ever done, but I've been at the halvsie game long enough that I should mark a marathon, before happily returning to halvsies until without any rhyme or reason, signing up for another marathon. Preferrably in Antartica. We'll see if London takes me, I hear it can be tough, but I'm sure I will run for charity, which should make it slightly easier.

This all sort of wraps itself around and back to summer due to the fact that in the interviews after the finish people were complaining it was too hot. It is those people I feel need to be given entry into the DisneyWorld Marathon, which can either end at 40 degrees, or somewhere closer to 90. It's like the seesaw of races, as it takes place in this incredibly odd transition point where, for no known reason, a bout of winter hits. Thing is, you don't know if it will hit that week, or the week after. It's a toss up. It's the only race where I pack both winter and summer running clothes. No joke. I think everyone needs the experience of going 40 to 90 or the other direction, once in their life.

There is also the Dubai Marathon, but I digress.

The short of it is as thus - today was another lovely day in Oxford and I'm foolishly going to attempt to run in the London Marathon next year. And that, as they say, is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment