Wednesday 15 April 2009

Not following a pattern.

I'm getting sick. This stinks. I was told that within my first year I will end up ill a lot, all those "British Germs" invading my system. But what they didn't tell me was this whole new pattern of illness thing.

I've been ill once before and it didn't follow the same pattern as this one, which is a sore throat and weird light-headed feelings. In the states I would have it the other way around. Before this I just got really sleepy and then sneezy. It's if my body is going, "Okay, this is not a good thing. I'm ill, but this is not something I've experienced before so I'll switch around all the feelings I normally get until something stands out as familiar. Err go, I start reaching for meds."

Or something like that, I really shouldn't be writing, feeling as I do.

I could get into the whole doctor thing here, which I'm immensely grateful to shove part of my paycheck to knowing I can see someone - but - for some reason people in the UK are less apt to medicate. I've argued in the past with colleagues, obviously ill, who will swear up and down that a bit of aspirin will do them fine. Like they WANT to feel the pain. I recall specifically one colleague who insisted on taking only half a set of over-the-counter meds because we were traveling. It amuses me greatly. Outside of that I was purchasing honey in droves.

Anyways, I'm just a bit miffed because of this, as there is that since that comes now and then of being 'foreign.' Just when I've figured something out or felt a bit more British (I did postage today and learned all about weight and mailing types) I get something strange knocked at me, like weird illness.

Okay, to bed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment